This is the day we celebrate the movement for Women's Rights and how far we've come. As Maya Angelou said "Each time a Woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all Women".
So I will take this opportunity to share with you five Women who have inspired, challenged and healed me over the years and I would love to know who has inspired you too!
1. Maya Angelou - Thank you for giving me the strength to pick myself up all those years ago during a breakdown after reading your book 'I know why the caged bird sings'. You're such an inspiration.
2. Ani Difranco - You inspired me to become a musician with a strong DIY ethic, to create my own music and my own shows, and to accept myself and my sexuality and sing about it in songs without fear.
3. Nina Simone - Fierce, amazingly talented and so brave. I am in awe of the music you created especially during the civil rights movement. Thank you for some perspective.
4. Tori Amos - You've given me comfort during some of the darkest times of my life, challenged me to write more honestly and kicked me up the ass when I needed it.
You'll always be my goddess.
5. Kate Bush - As a little girl you frightened and confused me but that confusion soon morphed into a mystical, magical mad world I could escape too when the normal people got me down.