Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Poem For Abandoned Cats

once I was cute and little
and you were enchanted by my blue eyes
my sweet darling face

every night after dinner
you would let me fall asleep on your lap
and I felt safe and warm
special and loved

I didn't know that one day you would change your mind
growing tired of me when I grew into an adult
losing that baby charm
the christmas gift you no longer wanted

I am afraid of what will happen to me
because you sent me away to this shelter
You told the lady at the desk
I don't fit into your busy life anymore

I feel so sad because I am not an old pair of shoes
or a broken tennis racket that no longer works
I still have those same eyes and sweet face
but now that I am six, I am not so little or youthful

is that why you don't want me anymore?