Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What I did on Christmas Day, The Homeless, Bowen Island

This year I decided I was going to be less wasteful and less selfish and spent all of christmas eve with my partner cooking food to hand out the following day to the homeless in Vancouver. We managed to find two other kind souls willing to help and the 4 of us chipped in and made christmas lunch bags with lovely warm potatoes in their jackets, mushroom nut loaf, fruit, juice, chocolate and homemade mince tarts.We handed most of the food out on West Hastings and man was it an eye opener. I had mixed feelings; both sadness and happiness, that I could make a few people smile and also, I am glad that I went out on that street and and faced my stupid fear, of it being dangerous and not a place I would want to be. All the people that we handed out food to were friendly, thankful and there were definitely a few characters, especially the dude smoking a a cigarette and reading maxim in his sleeping bag LOL!We promised we would do this more often, not just on christmas.
On Christmas Day we had the same food we gave out and it was delicious and the best christmas in a long time for me. We ate at the house I am house sitting on Bowen Island, looking out onto the harbour. It couldn't have been better.
I took some photos today, so hope to have some up soon.I hope you have had a good holiday and hey, if you have any left over food from the festivities, why not drop it at your local food bank? You can find a bunch of them on yahoo or google....
em